Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Father's Day Half Marathon

The San Francisco Marathon and Father's Day was on the same day this year.  I ran the 2nd Half Marathon this year, which runs from Golden Gate Park out towards the Ferry Building.  I finished with a time of 2:12:38, which is a PR for my half marathon time.  It could have been the training, or maybe it was father's day and I had something to prove.  I felt pretty good throughout the course, but the 2nd half did not have as many hills as compared to the 1st half.  I was on track to run a 10 minute mile pace, until I stopped for a bathroom break around the 11 mile marker.  After the short break it was hard for me to get started and I think that's where I lost a little time.  I'm still proud of my time, but it really sucks when you're a literally a minute shy of your goal time.  I'll try it again in August when i do the Giant Race.

Expo at the Concourse Exhibition Center
Your typical Expo for packet pick-up, lots of vendors, lots of freebies. Also a good idea to stock up on performance foods(gels, bars, chews, etc), because they always have some special pricing for expos.


Course Map

All prepped and ready to go.  I bought the SFM sock this year for $11, I just thought they were awesome and I had to get them.  They are by Sock Guy, and they were pretty comfy.  The shirts this year were a little off though. I normally got medium size for shirts, but this year they ran really small, so I got the large and the sleeves were still short.

The starting line, 36th and Fulton, Spreckels Lake


There's always the abandoned clothes at the start line


The first 5-6 miles are in Golden Gate Park, zig zagging your way out to Haight Street.











Along the course in the park is the finish line for the 1st Half Marathon runners.
"Full and 2nd Half runners stay to the right"


Exiting the park onto Haight







Right turn on Scott, Left turn on Waller
I run into a real barefoot runner

Waller to Guerrero,
crossing Market , Right on 15th



Then we go to 16th, to 17th, to Mariposa, to 22nd, then a Left on 3rd Street and now we're getting close.



Finally along the water and I can see the ball park


The home stretch along the Embarcadero



FINISHED!

Half Marathon Finisher Medal

Half It All Challenge Medal

2 sided medal for completing the 1st and 2nd half marathon in consecutive years.


What's next?

Full Marathon?

Already signed up for July 27, 2014.....See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment